Guiding kids to learn Islam is one of the duties that parents should commit to throughout raising them. Islam is the foremost source for kids to know the good morals, behaviors, and Islamic principles which they should follow in their lives.
Parents should teach their children Islam basics such as the five pillars and explain the importance of Islamic worship.
This Islamic upbringing will instill Allah’s love in their hearts, make them aware of sins they mustn’t do, and mainly contribute to preparing them as good youth Muslims in the future.
If you don’t know how to start teaching Islam to your children, check out, in this article, the best tips that ease this responsibility.
Table of Contents
What is Islam?
Islam is one of the major monotheistic Abrahamic religions, and it traces its spiritual lineage to the prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), who Muslims believe received revelations from God (Allah in Arabic) through the angel Gabriel. These revelations are recorded in the holy book of Islam, the Quran. The word “Islam” itself is derived from the Arabic root “S-L-M,” which means peace, submission, and surrender.
The meaning of Islamic Studies:
“Islamic Studies” refers to the academic and intellectual study of various aspects related to Islam. This interdisciplinary field encompasses a wide range of topics, including religious, historical, cultural, social, and political aspects of Islam and Muslim societies. The goal of Islamic Studies is to provide a comprehensive understanding of Islam as a religion, a civilization, and a way of life.
Key areas within Islamic Studies include:
- Quranic Studies:
- Analysis and interpretation of the Quran, the holy book of Islam.
- Hadith Studies:
- Examination of the sayings and actions of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) as recorded in Hadith collections.
- Theology (Aqeedah):
- Study of Islamic beliefs and doctrines, including the concept of God, angels, prophets, and the afterlife.
- Jurisprudence (Fiqh):
- Exploration of Islamic legal principles and the interpretation of Islamic law.
- Islamic History:
- Examination of the history of Islam from its inception to the present day, including the life of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the development of Muslim civilizations.
- Arabic Language and Literature:
- Study of the Arabic language, which is essential for understanding the Quran and other Islamic texts. This may also include the exploration of Arabic literature.
- Islamic Philosophy:
- Exploration of philosophical ideas within the Islamic tradition, including contributions from notable Muslim philosophers.
- Study of Islamic mysticism, focusing on spiritual practices and the pursuit of a deeper understanding of God.
- Comparative Religion:
- Comparative analysis of Islam with other major world religions.
- Islamic Art and Architecture:
- Exploration of artistic expressions, including calligraphy, architecture, and visual arts, influenced by Islamic aesthetics.
- Social Sciences in Islam:
- Examination of sociological, political, and economic aspects within Muslim societies.
- Contemporary Issues in Islam:
- Analysis of current events, trends, and challenges facing the Muslim world.
Islamic Studies can be pursued at various academic levels, from introductory courses to advanced degrees, depending on the institution and individual goals. It is often offered in universities and academic institutions around the world. The field provides a platform for scholars, researchers, and students to engage with and contribute to the understanding of Islam and its diverse dimensions.
How to Learn Islam Step By Step?
Learning about Islam is a gradual and lifelong journey, encompassing various aspects of faith, practice, and knowledge. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you start learning about Islam:
1. Understand the Basics:
Begin by gaining a basic understanding of the core tenets of Islam, known as the Five Pillars:
- Shahada (Declaration of Faith)
- Salah (Prayer)
- Zakat (Charity)
- Sawm (Fasting during Ramadan)
- Hajj (Pilgrimage to Mecca)
2. Read the Quran:
The Quran is the holy book of Islam. Start reading the Quran, focusing on the translation and commentary (Tafsir) to understand the meanings and context of the verses. Begin with shorter chapters (Surahs) and gradually progress to longer ones.
3. Learn and Practice Salah (Prayer):
4. Study Hadith:
Hadiths are sayings, actions, and approvals of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him). Explore collections of authentic Hadiths, such as Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim, to gain insights into the teachings of the Prophet.
5. Understand Islamic History:
Study the history of Islam, starting from the life of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the early Islamic period. This knowledge provides context for the development of Islamic civilization.
6. Explore Islamic Jurisprudence (Fiqh):
Learn about Islamic jurisprudence, which covers legal and ethical guidelines in various aspects of life. Understand the different schools of thought within Sunni Islam and their interpretations.
7. Participate in Islamic Classes and Lectures:
Attend local Islamic classes, lectures, or study groups. Engage with knowledgeable individuals who can guide you in your learning journey.
8. Read Islamic Books:
Explore books written by reputable scholars on topics like theology, spirituality, ethics, and Islamic history. Start with introductory texts and gradually delve into more advanced readings.
9. Learn Arabic:
While not mandatory, learning Arabic can enhance your understanding of the Quran and Hadith. Begin with basics and progress at your own pace.
10. Connect with the Muslim Community:
Engage with the local Muslim community, attend Friday prayers (Jumu’ah), and participate in community events. Building connections will provide a supportive environment for learning and practicing Islam.
11. Embrace Islamic Ethics and Morality:
Incorporate Islamic ethics into your daily life. Focus on virtues such as honesty, kindness, patience, and compassion.
12. Reflect and Seek Spiritual Growth:
Take time for personal reflection and spiritual growth. Engage in acts of worship, supplication (dua), and continuous self-improvement.
Remember that learning about Islam is a lifelong journey, and everyone progresses at their own pace. Seek knowledge with sincerity and humility, and always approach learning with an open heart and mind. If possible, seek guidance from knowledgeable mentors or scholars along the way.
Ready to deepen your understanding of the Quran? Join Sahlah Academy for expert-led Quranic studies and enrich your spiritual journey today! 📖✨ Visit our website now to learn more and enroll.
How to Learn about Islam for kids?
1. Start with the Pillars of Islam
Your children should know the basic mandatories of Islam and its importance and virtues to Muslims. They need to know how to say the shahada, pray, pay zakat, fast, and do a pilgrimage.
You should support your teaching with Quranic verses and hadith that included the pillars of Islam.
2. Build the prayer’s love
The first worship you should start to teach your kid is inevitably prayer. The ordinary learning prayer method for adults doesn’t work with kids. It’ll be hard for them to stick to this worship and absorb it well.
The best tip is to instill prayer love in your kids’ hearts. Let them choose a favorite prayer mat, allocate a prayer corner for kids at home, and invite them to pray with you together to encourage them.
3. Accompany your kids to the mosques
Your kids will appreciate the prayer’s importance through mosques. They will pray with numerous people. This tip will stimulate them to pray as the other people do, and they’ll get used to go to the mosque in the future.
4. Explain the names and attributes of Allah
Learning Allah’s names and attributes are one of the keys to knowing Allah and loving him. Your children will learn about his great power, mercy, and forgiveness.
5. Teach them the prophetic biography
Your kids should learn about prophet Muhammed (PBUH) to follow his good morals and manners. They need to know about his inspiring life after and before the prophetic mission, how he dedicated his life to Islam, and how he endured harm from disbelievers for this religion.
Your children can learn prophetic biography in detail and know the most prominent events in Mecca and Medina through the prophetic biography program that Sahlah academy offers.
6. Make a strong bond with Allah through Quran
The Quran is an integral part of teaching Islam to kids. It’s one of the main reasons for building a strong connection with Allah. So, your kids should learn the verses’ meanings, how to recite the Quran, and memorize the verses.
7. Be a role model for your kids
Your children will be motivated to pray five times a day, recite the Quran and do other worship if they notice you do them regularly. So, before you teach your kids, make sure that you follow what you guide first.
How to Learn Islamic Knowledge?
If you need your kids to know more about Islam teachings, attending online classes is the best choice. They will manage to understand easily with professional instructors. Your children can boost their Islamic knowledge through the following programs:
1. Tafser program
Your kids will get a better comprehension of Quranic verses through the Tafsir program. They will identify verses’ explanations while learning Quran from Hadith and other sources.
2. Islamic Creed program
This program is for learning Islamic Aqeedah. Its goals are:
- Knowing Islamic beliefs.
- Learning six pillars of faith.
- Identifying the prophets and messengers.
- Studying the Quran.
- Learning about Judgement Day and the angels.
3. Islamic Sanctification program
Through Islamic Sanctification program, students will dive into Islamic teachings from the Quran and Sunnah.
4. Hadith program
If you need your kids to learn the prophetic narrations that contain prophet Muhammed’s (PBUH) sayings and actions, the Hadith program is the best choice. Students will understand the narrations’ meanings that related to the Quran and morals.
5. Prophetic biography program
Children will take prophet Muhammed (PBUH) as the best role model in manners and sayings. The prophetic biography (Seerah) program aims to learn from the messenger’s life, his miracles like Isra & Mi’raj, his migration to Medina, and more of the highlight situations in his life.
Your Kids will get theoretical and practical experience, learn the most common Arabic expressions, and have a chance to discuss with the instructor about Islam teachings.
So, choose the best program that fits your kids’ interests and help them boost their Islamic knowledge from Islamic studies courses.
How to learn Quranic Arabic?
This course is designated for both kids and teens. It guides them in learning the following basics:
- Arabic Alphabet and phonetics.
- Arabic vocabulary.
- Grammatical structure (verbs, pronouns, relative nouns, gender, diacritical marks, possessive).
- Writing, speaking, and reading in Arabic.
- Classical Arabic texts.
How to Learn Islamic History Online?
Islamic Studies K-12 courses of Sahlah academy guide students in learning Islamic history after the Quran’s revelation.
Teachers motivate kids to be curious to know more as they teach through motivating and interesting methods.
Is It Compulsory to Learn Arabic in Islam?
Learning Arabic for kids will benefit them in reciting the Quran perfectly and understanding the verses’ meanings. They will also manage to understand prophetic narration explanations. So teaching Islam to children should include Arabic basics.
🌟 Embark on a Quranic Journey: Enroll in Expert-Led Studies at Sahlah Academy!
Discover the beauty and wisdom of the Quran with Sahlah Academy! Enjoy:
- Certified Curriculum from al-Azhar
- Certified Quality of Education from Cognia
- Certified educators trained in al-Azhar tradition.
- Comprehensive curriculum for spiritual growth.
- Personalized guidance for transformative learning.
- Ready to deepen your connection to the Quran? Visit our website to explore our courses and enroll today.
Sahlah has many programs:
- Accredited Online Elementary School Programs
- Online Middle School Programs
- Accredited Online High School Programs
2. Online Homeschooling:
Learn More About Sahlah from here.
You can help your children how to learn Islam from the beginning by teaching the five pillars of Islam, how to pray, Allah’s names and attributes, the Quran for a strong connection with Allah, and prophetic biography (Seerah).
Attending Islamic courses is the best choice for your kids to simplify Islamic teachings. So we offer Islamic studies K-12 that help children learn multiple programs such as Tafsir, Creed, Hadith, and Prophetic Biography.